Welcome to Our Website
Main Street Baptist Church has been serving the Harbor Springs Community for over 65 years. Our desire is to see our city grow in the knowledge and love of Jesus Christ. We sincerely desire to be the lighthouse and a place in which you can call home. At Main Street, we create a strong sense of family that binds us together in the unity of love and friendship. Our church is a place where ordinary people are experiencing an extraordinary God. People from all walks of life are finding joy and peace that passes all understanding and are building great relationships here at Main Street. As a church family our goal is to connect with people, grow in God's word, and grow in the wonderful grace of our Lord Jesus Christ. It is here at Main Street that God is building a place for many in Harbor Springs to find hope in an increasingly troubled world.
Main Street is an Independent, Fundamental Baptist Church located just east of beautiful downtown Harbor Springs, MI. We believe in the verbal inspiration and preservation of Scripture (2 Timothy 3:16), in the virgin birth of Jesus Christ (Matthew 1:23), in the blood atonement of Christ for the forgiveness of our sins (Ephesians 1:7), in the bodily resurrection of Jesus Christ (1 Corinthians 15:3-8), in the priesthood of every believer (1 Peter 2:5), and in the literal, premillenial return of Christ (Rev. 19).
Our services are traditional in style featuring enthusiastic, conservative Christian music and expositional Bible preaching. The King James Bible is the only version we use for preaching and teaching.
Discover the difference at Main Street Baptist Church.
In 1944, a small group began meeting in a tiny cabin on Sunday afternoons. Two years later on July 7, 1946, under the leadership of Pastor Richard Halter, a nucleus of ten people organized into an independent Baptist church. The original name was the Fundamental Baptist Church. The Lord blessed the work and the small church began to grow. Soon they were able to purchase property and construct a building. Due to the structure's location on Main Street in Harbor Springs, a decision was made on July 6, 1949 by congregational vote to change the name to the Main Street Baptist Church. Reverend Halter continued to pastor Main Street Baptist until 1964. At this point, the church called Rev. James Cranick who pastored here until 1969. In 1970, Rev. James Sweet took the pulpit. Pastor Sweet served this church and this community for twenty years and the church was blessed under his leadership. Near the beginning of his ministry, Main Street Baptist Church bought the present parsonage at 535 E. Lake Street and tore down the deteriorating former parsonage which sat next to the church building to make room for what is still the church parking lot. In 1990, Pastor Sweet resigned and Rev. Donald Phillips accepted the calling to pastor MSBC. Then in January, 1993, Rev. Jim Wright took the pulpit. He pastored until 1999. Pastor Mike Smth accepted the pastorate and ministered here until 2003. Pastor Dennis Rew served as our pastor from June, 2004. Our current pastor Terry Morse has served the church since March 2017. A look at our history convinces us of God's sustaining power, without which, this little church would have passed out of existence long ago. That we are still faithfully standing fiirmly on the foundation of Scripture upon which this church was established over sixty years ago, assures us that God's purpose and plan for this ministry has not been retracted. The continuing ministry of this assembly is to be a spiritual lighthouse to Harbor Springs and the surrounding areas. It is our prayer that by His Grace and in accordance to His Will, the light of this church will shine ever brighter as the days get darker, until Jesus returns to take us home to Glory.